List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: KDatabase for KOffice
From:       Shawn Gordon <shawn-gordon () home ! com>
Date:       2001-11-01 1:13:33

The only thing I'm aware of that is really doing what you want is a product
from my company (theKompany) - sorry for the plug, but people constantly
ask for this.  In any case you can check out
www.thekompany.com/products/rekall for details and
www.sf.net/projects/rekall for a download.

Being part of KOffice doesn't really make sense other than as being bundled
with the office suite, which does make sense, but there isn't a lot you can
do to take advantage of the embedding I don't think.

Now I've heard Faure say that KWord will never have scripting, this makes
things like mail merge a bit difficult, and that was always my dream to
implement in KOffice, so we are going to be implementing it as part of
HancomOffice instead (www.hancom.com/en).

Rekall comes with a default xBase style database, but you can easily use
MySQL and PostgreSQL if you wish as well as some other databases that are
coming along.

We've spent time with QtSQL and if you think that making something like
Rekall with it under Qt3 and KDE3 is going to be a piece of cake, you are
going to be disappointed as we were.  We tried to use it, but there are far
too many limitations in it for this type of application at the moment,
however it will certainly have other uses outside of this.

Shawn