List:       koffice
Subject:    OT [Re: Hello.]
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2001-09-25 19:02:42

On Tuesday 25 September 2001 18:18, Richard Garand wrote:
|   On September 25, 2001 03:42 pm, Vadim Plessky wrote:
|   > Note that not every user has an option *to install Linux/FreeBSD
|   > parallel to Windows", as Bero recommends.
|   > I can tell you that I was working in a company where all configuration
|   > options (in Windows's control panel) were disabled by *mighty SysAdmin*
|   > (he was implementing top management's decision, no way to blaim him
|   > directly) So, I couldn't change resolution from 800x600 to 1024x768,
|   > after installing a new monitor, or add new fonts. Not speaking about
|   > changing IP address or adding new protocol.  :-)
|   > Can you imagine installing Linux on such computer?
|
|   On the other hand, unless there's heavy restrictions on the BIOS and
| chipset, it would be very easy to bypass this to install Linux (Mandrake
| has an excellent re-partitionner) to have more power on the computer. Of
| course, explaining the bootloader is another thing :)
|   (yeah, I know, don't install a bootloader and make a boot disk).

As far as I remeber, it was HP Vectra computer, which had 2-level password on
BIOS settings.
So, I couldn't modify BIOS...
(Sorry for OT)

BTW: situation in other companies is not much better.
Usually there are heavy restrictions on computer setup, you can't modify it
on your own.
Conclusion: we need KOffice for Win!...
--

Vadim Plessky