On Tuesday 25 September 2001 18:18, Richard Garand wrote: | On September 25, 2001 03:42 pm, Vadim Plessky wrote: | > Note that not every user has an option *to install Linux/FreeBSD | > parallel to Windows", as Bero recommends. | > I can tell you that I was working in a company where all configuration | > options (in Windows's control panel) were disabled by *mighty SysAdmin* | > (he was implementing top management's decision, no way to blaim him | > directly) So, I couldn't change resolution from 800x600 to 1024x768, | > after installing a new monitor, or add new fonts. Not speaking about | > changing IP address or adding new protocol. :-) | > Can you imagine installing Linux on such computer? | | On the other hand, unless there's heavy restrictions on the BIOS and | chipset, it would be very easy to bypass this to install Linux (Mandrake | has an excellent re-partitionner) to have more power on the computer. Of | course, explaining the bootloader is another thing :) | (yeah, I know, don't install a bootloader and make a boot disk). As far as I remeber, it was HP Vectra computer, which had 2-level password on BIOS settings. So, I couldn't modify BIOS... (Sorry for OT) BTW: situation in other companies is not much better. Usually there are heavy restrictions on computer setup, you can't modify it on your own. Conclusion: we need KOffice for Win!... -- Vadim Plessky http://kde2.newmail.ru (English) 33 Window Decorations and 6 Widget Styles for KDE http://kde2.newmail.ru/kde_themes.html Do you have Arial font installed? Just test it! http://kde2.newmail.ru/font_test_arial.html