List:       koffice
Subject:    kontour problems - past one but now new ones
From:       "Praedor Tempus" <praedor () uswest ! net>
Date:       2001-09-16 5:04:35

First, thank you Akar for the offer of help.  I dinked with the files a bit
more and finally got the parts of the image aligned enough to be useful.  I
have run into an annoying font problem and a problem with the align
tool...but got around them as well.

The font problem.  My default font is Arial regular 12 pt.  I worked on the
figures at home on my desktop system with Kontour and emailed them to myself
so I could continue to work with them on my laptop at school/work.  Some of
the fonts are arial italics and some are arial regular and a few are arial
bold.  Upon opening the files on my laptop (same kontour version 1.1) ALL the
fonts were arial italics.  Selecting the individual fonts and looking at
properties indicated that they were still set properly.  Bold were set bold,
regular were set regular, italic still set italic but ALL were displaying as
italic and printing as italic.

Ultimately, the only way I could get them to display properly was to select
another font and then reselect arial.

The alignment problem involved trying to get boxes to align with a line
(tangent to the bottom edge of a boxes).  I would select the line and the box
of interest, right-click, select the align function and then select the
vertical alignment indicating that the bottom of the line and box should
align.  What happened instead was the box moved downward so that the line
passed through the bottom 1/8 or so of the box.  Not aligned.  I had to
manually do it (which indicates another problem actually - I'll get to that
in a next).  I tried this with several boxes and a line, each with outline of
1.00 pt.  Same result each time.  Instead of aligning nicely, the line would
end up bisecting the bottom portion of the box.

Finally, in order to align the boxes and lines manually, I did what I would
have to do with ANY other graphics app of this sort, windoze, mac, or linux.
I zoomed way in so I could have fine control of the movement.  I ended up
working at 1500% zoom but the movement is still too crude to allow for a lot
of alignment.  In other words, the movement is still too coarse and instead
of moving in small, smooth manner, movement is in blocky jumps that prevents
a lot of the alignment that I sought.  I am not using align to grid.

It took a lot of moving this and that, a lot of time, but I finally did get
things aligned enough to work for this paper I am working on.

One final thing that I am not sure ties into something about kontour or if it
is something about ps2epsi but I printed out the figure in question to a
postscript file.  Looking at it with gv shows that it looks OK.  I then ran
ps2epsi on the file and produced an eps version.  Every time I try to run it
on this particular figure (but not on another, less complex figure produced
with kontour) it produces an error:

[praedor@d152-108 praedor]$ ps2epsi figure2.ps figure2.eps
sed: -e expression #2, char 15: Extra characters after command

Looking at the resulting eps file with gv shows a blank page.  This is a
problem.  To publish I must submit an eps file for the figures.  Some of the
kontour figures printed to ps convert to eps fine but this one wont.  Is
there something in kontour, the print system that produces postscript, or is
it a problem in ps2epsi?  Now to preempt the question, I have also tried
exporting to eps which is supported in kontour.  Unfortunately, though the
image produced is OK, it ends up plastered up against the upper left-hand
corner of the resulting page instead of centered.  It is unprintable because
it sits virtually on the papers edge.  Unless there is a way to force the eps
export to center the image, then I cannot use this export function.

Any comments?  Helpful hints?

praedor