List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: koffice feature and release plan
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () planescape ! com>
Date:       2001-09-17 16:50:53

On Mon, Sep 17, 2001 at 04:11:36PM +0200, Ferdinand Gassauer wrote:
> Hi!
> Having read the latest review on ZDNet about koffice I have to admit the
> conclusion is rigth, that koffice can't be used in an office environment yet.
> (Although I used it at home exclusively)
>
> I think that everyone is aware of the shortcomings (filters and features) I
> think it would be a good thing  to come up with an internet page explaining
> what koffice users can expect in the near future. Given a timelag of
> something like 6-12 month between taking a strategic decision (for KDE) and
> implementing it, it would be very helpful to know which features are planned
> (as for KDE3). Given the fact that the release plans of KDE have been met
> with an astonishing accuracy during the past  this information would also
> have a high credibility.
>
> just my 2c

I'm sorry to say that for the 10 people working on KOffice this is not an option,
its not like people can plan time to work on KOffice...

Further its an open source project, we can't force people to work on a certain
part because that is what companies want. If we ask that, those people will
leave very soon..

I certainly hope the list of features and the promise of KOffice will lead
many users down the path to be a participants.

I'm just worried that we will be swamped with requests for info and get little
to no code from those some people... :(

What we need in this is users that help other users, coders that will help users
and the other way around.

So, go to the bugs.kde.org, look at the KOffice application of your choice and take
a nice little feature you think you can implement, we can help you, naturally...

Thank you for your time ;)