List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Filter Reuse- Gnumeric
From:       shaheedhaque () btopenworld ! com
Date:       2001-09-14 10:25:24

> Hi All,
>
> After writing a partially complete, GNUmeric import/export filter, I
> began to get frustrated because much of the code already exists in GNUmeric.
>
> I was thinking about writing a filter which could use the plugins of
> GNUmeric to import and export files.  This would elimate the need to rewrite
> the code, and automatically boost the number of file types that kspread
> could import and export.
>
> If you are thinking about redesigning the Filter API and architecture, you
> may find that the GNUmeric people have solved some of the design problems
> already.
>
> I haven't looked at their design in depth, but here's a pointer to the CVS
> directory: <a href="/bti/redirect.html?http://cvs.gnome.org/lxr/source/gnumeric/plugins/" \
> target="newLink">http://cvs.gnome.org/lxr/source/gnumeric/plugins/</a>
> A single filter source-pool for all opensource projects would be wonderful
> to achieve.
>
> I honestly believe filter quality/completeness is one of the largest
> barriers to acceptance of koffice/open office/gnumeric into the larger
> business eviornment.

FWIW, such efforts are already underway for the editors over at wvware.sf.net, and I \
would would certainly encourage the other apps to do the same. Note that is it \
essential that we all use a generic framework, as well as individual filters in order \
to support embedding.

The work on libwv2 is intended to be supplemented by libwmf2 for image handling.

Thanks, Shaheed