List:       koffice
Subject:    Filter Reuse- Gnumeric
From:       "Phillip Ezolt" <phillipezolt () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2001-09-13 21:06:52

Hi All,

After writing a partially complete, GNUmeric import/export filter, I
began to get frustrated because much of the code already exists in GNUmeric.

I was thinking about writing a filter which could use the plugins of
GNUmeric to import and export files.  This would elimate the need to rewrite
the code, and automatically boost the number of file types that kspread
could import and export.

If you are thinking about redesigning the Filter API and architecture, you
may find that the GNUmeric people have solved some of the design problems
already.

I haven't looked at their design in depth, but here's a pointer to the CVS
directory: http://cvs.gnome.org/lxr/source/gnumeric/plugins/

A single filter source-pool for all opensource projects would be wonderful
to achieve.

I honestly believe filter quality/completeness is one of the largest
barriers to acceptance of koffice/open office/gnumeric into the larger
business eviornment.

--Phil