List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    What to do with kcmemail
From:       Michael =?iso-8859-1?q?H=E4ckel?= <Michael () Haeckel ! Net>
Date:       2001-07-19 19:33:00

Hi,

We just recieved again a report from a confused user about IMAP accounts not
working in KMail, when configured in KControl.

My personal opinion is, kcmemail should be disabled for the release.

Reasons:
- It is fairly broken. It regularly looses information when switching
  between profiles or mixes them up. The port setting is even not stored at
  all. Also it is possible to add profiles, but not to remove one.

- AFAIK it is currently not maintained, so this won't change within the next
  week.

- AFAIK it is not used by any application. Just KMail claims to be able to
  import information from there and copy to its own profile, but that seems
  to be broken.

- It will not be used in its current state by at least KMail, since it
  doesn't fit its needs. It is not possible to specify a signature and the
  way accounts are stored in KMail differs completely from the way they are
  stored in kcmemail, since accounts in KMail are not related to identities.
  We surely don't remove these features, just to comply to the kcmemail
  standart.

- It therefore just confuses users.

- In earlier versions users asked us, why it is possible to configure an IMAP
  account in KControl, but KMail doesn't support IMAP, now users (at least at
  LinuxTag) ask us, why it is possible to configure a password for SMTP and
  KMail doesn't support that.

In general, it would be nice, if the information KMail stores in its
identities would be shared between applications like at least KMail and
KNode. However for that, it would be required, that kcmemail supports
signatures and a pgp identity. The settings about accounts and smtp server
IMHO don't belong there. They are very application specific. Even a different
mail KDE based mail client (and I heavily doubt, that there will ever come
one up, that can compete with KMail, although some people try it :-) would
probably have different options there and KNode doesn't need this information
at all.

Regards,
Michael Häckel