List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: KMail User Interface summary ? :)
From:       Michael =?iso-8859-1?q?H=E4ckel?= <Michael () Haeckel ! Net>
Date:       2001-05-31 16:22:13

On Thursday, 31. May 2001 03:58, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Thursday, 31. May 2001 01:20, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> > Ok, to sum today's discussion up:
> >
> > I think we agreed on three things that can be done without any
> > question and that don't need configuration:
> >
> > a) subfolders for inbox
>
> ACK
>
> > b) drag'n drop of folders in the folder view
>
> ACK
>
> > c) long folder list option as a default setting
>
> ACK

I also agree here.

> > What's left is the discussion about:
> >
> > d) additional columns in the folder view for
> > 	1) the number of mails total
> > 	2) and unread and
>
> Either make it configurable or even better simply forget it. The only
> thing which would be O.K. for me would be to add the total number of
> messages to the parenthesis as I already explained in an earlier
> message.

At least the total number of messages is still displayed in the status bar
and at least for me this is enough.

For the outbox this might be something different, but for example in my
kde-devel folder this number simply increases every day by around 50,
therefore this information doesn't really say much.

I still would prefer optionally displaying "(new/total)" or only "(total)" if
there are no new mails. The new mails in red and the total number in black.

> > e) columns in the listview
> > 	1) for sorting,
>
> If you mean "for threading" then this is a clear NO GO from me.

Again no, from me.

> > 	2) status
>
> What do you want to make with messages which one replied to and which
> one also forwarded? Two icons? Two half icons? Two overlayed icons?
> If a message is new or read then what do you want to display in the
> status column? A mail-new or a mail-read icon? Then point 3) would be
> pointless. I don't think an extra status column is really needed.
> Adding the status flags to the icons in point 3) would do perfectly.
>
> > 	3) and using mail-new and mail-opened icons with symbols for
> > attachments where the status dash/dots are now which go into 2)
> > status.

Well, I currently don't know how it would be best to display an advanced
status of mails.
Currently we simply have one status, but actually maybe flags would represent
the state of a mail better.

But then a mail can have a read, replied, forwarded, attachment and
importance flag at the same time. This gives at least a funny icon collection
then.

I'm definitely against adding five separate columns for these flags.
Also adding one single column doesn't solve the problem nicely, since it has
always to have at least the width of all icons, that possibly could be there.

I still prefer the status icon/s displayed immediately besides the subject,
especially in threaded mode this is much nicer than in a different coloumn.
However I currently don't know, if a QListViewItem is able to display several
icons.

Regards,
Michael Häckel