List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: KMail last of 16 Win/Mac/Linux Mail Clients in c't test!
From:       Don Sanders <sanders () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-05-05 15:07:11

On Saturday 05 May 2001 16:24, Jason Stephenson wrote:
> The current interface shows how the application was put together with new
> features added wherever they would fit in the code and not so much where
> they make the most sense from a UI standpoint.

Not really true. Epsen Sand completely overhauled the configuration dialog a
while ago, and he did a very nice job of putting options where they logically
belong.

Since then growth of the configuration dialog has been somewhat haphazard, in
particular the addressbok and messages scoring don't seem to belong under
appearance (I'm guilty of the putting the addressbook there).

> Don't think I'm just
> bitching for the sake of bitching, either. I've added one such feature,
> because it was the quickest way to add, when the better choice would have
> been to re-write the whole way that KMail handles identities and
> identity-related configuration. So, I'm just as guilty as the rest of the
> developers.

I'm pretty happy with the identity section, yes the add transport button is a
bit of a hack and is not the way I recommended for it to be done. I would
rather there was an additional line edit where a mail transport 'url' could
be entered and then beside that the add transport button could appear. A bit
like say the full name dialog is in abbrowser.

BFN,
Don.