List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: PATCH: Forwarding messages as attachments
From:       Michael =?iso-8859-1?q?H=E4ckel?= <Michael () Haeckel ! Net>
Date:       2001-05-05 12:44:36

On Saturday,  5. May 2001 01:03, George Staikos wrote:
> On Friday 04 May 2001 17:15, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > I promise we'll take out this code again if the mime/digest stuff works
> > with KMail (and preferably also with other MUAs like M$OE, Netscape
> > Messenger, pine, mutt etc.).
>
>   If it's in and working, you might as well leave it in but keep it as a
> secondary option to preparing digests.  Just check to make sure that the
> mimetype is set properly if you're attaching emails with attachments too.
> Some applications use heuristics (as is provided for with MIME) for
> displaying unknown content.

At least as far as I can see RFC 2046 describes both methods as valid.
Simple attaching in chapter 5.2.1 and multipart digest in chapter 5.1.5.
At the start of chapter 5.2 it is explained for what attaching messages is
useful (for example forwarding as we do now).

The only difference between simple attaching and a digest is, the the digest
requires an additional multipart/digest which then contains the messages and
that it is not required to explicitely include Content-Type headers
message/rfc822 then.

Maybe that is useful, if the user wants really to attach a lot of mails and
also some other attachments which should be separated from the mails. However
at least for a single mail I consider it a bit stupid to create a multipart
which then only contains a single part. That is only useless overhead.

Regards,
Michael Häckel