List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: uuencoded files
From:       Stefan Taferner <taferner () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-05-04 12:38:37

On Thursday 03 May 2001 15:44, Michael wrote:
> Hi all,
> I didn't find a word about uue in the documentation. Is there a convenient
> way to handle such files, as they aren't recognized as attachments by KMail
> 1.1.99?

The point is that the standard is Mime, and having plain uu encoded sections
between the text is no standard. Ok, that was not the question ;-)

> Perhaps by using an external filter?

Should be possible to write one.

Something like a (perl?) script that searches for the occurance of a
"begin 644" (or whatever), then uudecodes the attachment and Base64 encodes
it, and changes it to proper Mime format.

Yes, would be possible, but a bit tricky to build :-)

> I greatly appreciate the progress made by KMail. This is the right time for
> me to migrate rom XFMail. Thank You.
>
> By the way, it would be nice to have exxtraction of things like %D in the
> signature as well as in the reply phrase - at least as long as it isn't red
> from a file.

IMO you can make a simple script that does all the fancy signature stuff
that your heart delights. Shell scripts are very flexible in this aspect :-)

Kind regards,
Stefan