List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Memory leaks in KMail
From:       Don Sanders <sanders () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-04-27 20:46:44

On Friday 27 April 2001 16:47, Denis Perchine wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Read a CVS message, that memory leak was fixed in KHTML.
> And thought that this will finally fix the problem with memory leak when
> reading mails. But it is not the case. When I go to the next message
> approximately 100 kbytes is leaked. At least KMail grows in size. Even when
> I came back to the same message it grows.
>
> Also it grows by approx. 200K when I right click on the item, and get popup
> menu. Possibly this is a problem of kdelibs... But this is really
> unacceptable. After a day of work KMail use 100-150Mb of memory.
>
> Any ideas?

It's updateMessageMenu again. Just "return;" in
KMMainWin::updateMessageMenu() to verify that yourself.

Maybe there was always a memory leak there, maybe it is much more of a
problem now as maybe updateMessageMenu is called much more often than it used
to be. Maybe it was only called on right click or when clicking on the
message menu but now it is (more or less) called whenever a message is read.

IMO obviously updateMessageMenu should only be called on right click of a
message header or when the message menu is pulled down. Coolo any chance of
you agreeing on this?

BTW html widget looks ok, adding a "return;" to the start of void
KMReaderWin::setMsg(KMMessage* aMsg, bool force) didn't make any memory leaks
obvious.

Heh, who needs leaktracer.

BFN,
Don.