List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: since you asked... :)
From:       Don Sanders <don () sanders ! org>
Date:       2001-04-18 13:56:40

Thanks I have some slightly evil code in kmreaderwin.cpp that I talked about
in my previous mail. Basically (and this is really for the benefit of the
kmail developers) kmreaderwin keeps a pointer to the current message being
displayed. When a new message is displayed it compares the pointer of the new
message with the old pointer and if they are equal it decides the message are
the same and doesn't display the new message.

Now this is dangerours as an old message might be deleted and a new message
might be created in the same place in memory so that the pointers are the
same. The debug output indicates this is the case.

I tried to eliminate this erroneous condition by setting the kmreaderwin to
display a blank message when appropriate. I guess something has changed and a
loophole has emerged.

I see two possible solutions:

1) When changing folders make sure that the kmreaderwin is set to display a
blank message. (Not 100% positive this will fix the problem but it might)

2) remove the pointer checking code. The reason I remember inserting it was
that when reading a multipage email and interval mail checking fired the
current message would be redisplayed once interval checking finished and the
kmreaderwin would redisplay the message and scroll back to the top of the
mail which was really annoying. But perhaps this is no longer the case.

I guess solution 2 is preferable, if it doesn't mess things up.

BFN,
Don.