List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: PATCH : scoring, take 2
From:       Don Sanders <sanders () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-04-16 13:49:44

On Monday 16 April 2001 11:42, Michael Häckel wrote:
> On Monday, 16. April 2001 10:46, Guillaume Laurent wrote:
> > This patch should be better than the 1st one. As Michael suggested, the
> > score is put in the QListViewItems. There is no check for whether there
> > are rules for the group or not yet, but I tried it on a fairly large
> > folder (several thousands of msg) and didn't notice any serious slowdown.
>
> A lot of hard working people these days :-)
>
> The patch is much better, than the last one, so far right.
>
> However I still consider a slowdown of 100% serious especially since that
> is much more than the speed gained by Sams patch. It is much better than
> 700% slowdown of course. It that would be only in folders with scoring that
> would be acceptable.

I don't want to see any slow down at all. Scores should only be computed for
visible items using the virtual methods text and pixmap. That ways scoring
should be free when not sorting by score. Also this way you prevent memory
bloat too. See Sam's patch for how that should work.

People already complain that KMail takes too much memory, and I am working
really hard to sped it up too.

When sorting by score (if that's possible) is sounds like things will be
pretty slow.

BTW Guillaume I'm sorry about editing kmheaders  under you and no doubt
causing conflicts that have to be merged.

BFN,
Don.