List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: posting to mailing list from Kmail difficult
From:       Don Sanders <don () sanders ! org>
Date:       2001-04-09 13:49:06

Section 6 of RFC822 (http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc822.html) defines the syntax
for valid email addresses. Appendix A.1.1 lists
  Alfred Neuman <Neuman@BBN-TENEXA>
as an example of a valid address*. Please note that this address has
"missing" double quotes. I think at least in this case KMail is fully
compliant with RFC822.

I also notice that, like KMail, "Gnus v5.7/Emacs 20.4" and "Mozilla 3.02
(X11; N; Linux 2.2.12-20 i686)" allow messages to be posted with "missing"
double quotes around the name.

Speaking of mailman (at least version 2.0beta4) it is good software, but I
wonder if it actually violates RFC822 itself. Sending administration messages
with no date field,  which I believe is a required field (please see the
formal grammar in section 4.1 of RFC822). Instead only a "Resent-Date" field
is specified.

I believe Michael knows RFC822 better than myself, maybe he can confirm/deny
these points.

*If the message crosses name-domain boundaries then the domain hierarchy
needs to be fully specified eg.
  Alfred Neuman <Neuman@BBN-TENEXA.NET>

BFN,
Don.