List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: kmail wishlist/bugs
From:       Michael =?iso-8859-1?q?H=E4ckel?= <Michael () Haeckel ! Net>
Date:       2001-03-25 7:26:49

On Sunday, 25. March 2001 09:56, Guillaume Laurent wrote:
> On Sunday 25 March 2001 04:55, Jason Stephenson wrote:
> > I don't know why everyone keeps screaming for IMAP support in KMail. In
> > my professional opinion, as someone who maintains a mail server with
> > SMTP, POP, and IMAP for over 6,000 users, IMAP doesn't hold a candle to
> > POP3.
>
> If I recall correctly, IMAP is much more secure. POP3 uses plain
> unencrypted passwords, IMAP is more clever.

IMAP also tranfers the password unencrypted, at least by default.

However CRAM-MD5 authentification does exist, as does APOP for POP3.
Also the use of SSL is possible for IMAP and POP3.

The difference is only the POP3 is supposed to download the mails where IMAP
is also able to upload and supposed to store all mails on a server and cache
them only locally for viewing.

Regards,
Michael Häckel