List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: kmail wishlist/bugs
From:       Carsten Pfeiffer <carpdjih () cetus ! zrz ! tu-berlin ! de>
Date:       2001-03-23 14:41:09

Am Freitag, 23. März 2001 14:07 schrieb Michael Häckel:

Hiya,

> Well Don was faster, nevertheless here my comment:

thanks for the quick replies, btw :)

> That is possible with Folder->Modify or from the context menu, however it
> would be nice, if it would also work via drag and drop, but it has to be
> taken sure then, the folders are not easily moved by accident.

Maybe with a popupmenu that offers "Copy", "Move" "Abort" upon dropping?

> Not even, when selecting with "K"? Anyway selecting a collapsed thread
> should probably select all messages in the thread. Then also deleting
> deletes the whole thread.

Ah, that's the problem, then. Only the top-most message was selected.
You're right, selecting a collapsed thread should select all messages.

> > - Replying to a mail places the cursor into the To: edit instead of the
> >   editor. That makes sense when composing new mails, but replies
> >   usually don't need adjustments of the recipients.
>
> Well, at least I anyway place the cursor with the mouse where I want to
> have it, but that can be changed of course.
> Should it then be by default at the beginning or at the end the the quoted
> text? Probably at the end.

I reply contextual and I remove irrelevant paragraphs/sentences, so I would
like the cursor to be at the top, or even better, right below the "On ...,
you wrote:" line.

> Sorry, can't reproduce. Works correctely here with my wheel mouse.

Really? When I click on a mail in the listview, then move the mouse (without
clicking) to the message pane and scroll up or down, both the listview and
the message pane scroll. When I click on the message pane and then scroll,
only the message pane scrolls.

> > - Is there an easy way to switch between proportional and
> > non-proportional font in composer and viewer (for "ascii-art" or rather
> > things like underlining or marking something with ^^^)?
>
> Not yet, but was also already requested a few times.

Ok, shall I have a look or is someone else going to add that?

> That was also already requested a few times. I think, there should be then
> at least a checkbox somewhere which defaults to inserting this delimiter.

Yup, that would be great.

> > - KURLRequester should be used where possible (instead of lineedit +
> >   pushbutton).
>
> Well, I currently don't know, how that looks like.

By default, it has a folder-icon instead of the "Browse..." text, but you can
customize that, so it would look exactly like it does now. Basically, it's a
lineedit + pushbutton + integrated API for the filedialog + completion.

> > - The search-dialog (the big one) could have context-menu: Delete, open,
> >   forward (the same as the mails-view) instead of just making the
> > mails-view jump to the selected mail. That way, you wouldn't have to
> > switch between those two views all the time.
>
> Sounds good. If the separate window, you currently get, when you double
> click on a header someday is a bit more confortable, it would probably be
> also useful to open such a window, instead switching to the message.

Right, that would be helpful, too.

> I think, that is KAB, not KMail.
[...]
> At least with Abbrowser that works, but that should also be fixed with KAB.
> I don't know, if KMail or KAB needs fixing here.

Ok. Apparently, I don't have Abbrowser installed, so I went with KAB :} I
will try Abbrowser and see if it makes a difference.

> > - Is there a way to add the sender of a mail to the addressbook (from the
> >   mails-listview or the content view? I didn't find an entry in the
> >   context-menu.
>
> Currently only context menu on the e-mail address, but isn't that enough?

Hmm, well, if you know it, it's probably ok, I was just a newbie without a
clue and I thought I might do that from the normal contextmenu or even from
the one in the listview.

For most cases, it would even suffice to have an implicit addressbook, I
think. Pegasus Mail kept a list of maybe 30 email addresses, that you
recently wrote a mail to. Not only single email addresses; if you wrote one
mail to bla@kde.org, foo@kde.org, foobar@kde.org, then it would give you all
of them.

Maybe the To: and Cc: lineedits could become comboboxes, containing those
recent addresses? I also thought about using KCompletion for that stuff. I
had a look at that a while ago, but it required some more work than I had
time then.

> I don't understand why people absolutely want to delete single message out
> of a thread, either the thread is interesting or it is not :-)

Hehe :) Imagine someone's posting a question and someone else replies with a
good answer, which you want to kepp (probably even quoting the question). You
don't need to question-mail anymore (or even a whole lot of other messages
from the thread).

> Maybe a new message status TODO that also highlights the message, but does
> not go away, when the message is selected would do the trick?

Yup, that would be excellent.

> Well, I personally keep all TODO mails in my inbox while all the others are
> sorted in somewhere.

I use procmail, so all the mails are already sorted in folders, when I read
them...

> BTW: Is IMAP working?

I don't have my IMAP account anymore ;-((

Best wishes
Carsten Pfeiffer