List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    RFC2047 header encoding
From:       Michael =?iso-8859-1?q?H=E4ckel?= <Michael () Haeckel ! Net>
Date:       2001-02-27 18:32:51

Hi,

I just put a fix for multibyte encoding in headers into CVS. Basically
KMMsgbase::encodeRFC2047String is completely rewritten now.
Headers are no longer corrupted by cutting single characters in the middle.

The length guessing algorithm is now O(n*log(n)) instead of O(n). I think
that is accecptable, since it is only used when writing mails and headers are
usually not _that_ long.

Additionally this function now automatically uses base64 instead of
quoted-printable if more than 16% of the characters are non-us-ascii. That
makes non-latin headers much shorter. 16% is the mathematical border, where
base64 becomes shorter.

Also a header like
Michael@Haeckel.Net (Michael Häckel), someuser@host.org
should now be encoded correctely.
I don't know, if that is the reason, why some people are not able to send to
more than one address.

I would also like to backport that change to the KDE_2_1_BRANCH, if no
problems arise, since it is a big improvement for users in Asia.

Regards,
Michael Häckel