List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Internal Adressbook (Re: Adress Book containing "description" field)
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2001-02-26 4:12:45

Sunday 25 February 2001 11:58, Michael Häckel написал:
|   On Sunday, 25. February 2001 14:03, Vadim Plessky wrote:
|   > Sunday 25 February 2001  9:27, Michael Häckel написал:
|   > |   Hi,
|   > |
|   > |   As I just see this wishlist report:
|   > |   We tell the users since months that the internal adressbook is
|   > | obsolete and they should use KAB or Abbrowser instead. Shall I
|   > | finally remove it, or do we better leave it in.
|   >
|   > While going *up* to KAB or Abbrowser looks like as a good idea, it
|   > requires kdeutils or kdepim packages at a moment.
|
|   KAB is still in kdebase which is anyway required.
|   Also the addressbook is an optional feature KMail not really needs for
|   running.

[vadim@localhost vadim]$ rpm -ql kdebase | grep kab
[vadim@localhost vadim]$ rpm -ql kdebase | grep KAB
[vadim@localhost vadim]$

I am using LM 7.2 with Mandrake-devel/unsupported RPMs.
(Feb.10th, 2001 CVS - post Beta2)
That's why I was so confused with proposal to use KAB.

|   > |   If we leave it in, that at least a few things should be fixed, for
|   > | example non-latin support.
|   >
|   > Yes, please, fix non-Latin support in addressbook.
|   > Until IMAP is fully implemented, addressbook is ok for me.
|
|   You can still use any of the other two addressbooks which also share
| their addresses with other KDE applications.

Yes, that's right, but ... SRPMs from Cooker (kdeutils, kdenetwork) were not
updated on Feb.10th.
So I run now just QT 2.2.4+kdesupport+kdelibs+kdebase.

 And, my kdebase doesn't have KAB.

|   > (well, while these items look like unrelated, they *are*, at least in
|   > business world;
|   >  addressbook can handle 10-20 e-mail addresses easily. it's enough to
|   > write mails to friends and family members. And, you need more e-mail
|   > addresses [100+] only when you have many business partners, IMHO; then
|   > you need Mail Server and IMAP... )
|
|   I think IMAP has really nothing to do with addresses. That is what LDAP
| is for.

Yes, you are right.
But I just want to express that with 20 addresses in adressbook, I do not
need external application to manage them.

And, of course, you need LDAP or some other method to select mail addresses
when you have corporate mail list or 92 000 people, or something like that.
(that's what I needed in the past, working for large company)

BTW: any plans to support LDAP in KMail in the future?

|   Regards,
|   Michael Häckel

P.S. I am wondering if somebody has 100+ workplaces with installed KMail in
his company ?
Or, at least 20+ workplaces?
May be, then you can share experience of managing Address Lists, etc.

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)