List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Rewrite KMail? (was Re: Rework of the mail composer)
From:       George Staikos <staikos () nitro ! 0wned ! org>
Date:       2000-12-29 18:39:40

On Wed, 27 Dec 2000, Jason Stephenson wrote:

> I've suggested on this list before that after KDE 2.1 comes out, it may be
> time to rewrite KMail from the ground up. That mail was met with only one
> response, a positve one, saying that we should really take advantage of the
> new features in KDE 2.
>
> I agree with you completely on the need to clean up some of the code. There
> were some very hard to track down bugs dealing with headers and messages a
> while ago (and possibly deleting a message other than the one that was put in
> the trash from the header list) because the code to handle all that is too
> complicated. It could (should) be simpler.

   There are some severe problems and limitations with the underlying
design in KMail now.  I don't expect it was ever envisioned to grow so
powerful so quickly.  However, I think maybe it might be a better idea to
move kmail into more of a maintenance mode once IMAP is done and then
throw more effort into developing Empath.  It seems to have a lot of
potential and most of the structural work is done, and done right.