List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: KMail Filter Idea
From:       Jason Stephenson <panda () mis ! net>
Date:       2000-12-28 20:34:32

Yeah, you're probably right which is why I said I'll send out a patch in
April or so. I wasn't actually planning on adding this to the main source
tree. There have been a few people asking for something like this on the
list, though, and it is something that I want. (i have some code for
automagically detecting spam, and I'd like to add it to KMail.)

This sort of thing *might* be handled better by the MTA, rather than the MUA.
It has been said, though that KMail and KDE are aimed at "end users" or
people who aren't all that computer savvy, so something like this would be
more useful to them if it were in the MUA. (I also seriously doubt that KDE
is really used by all that many people who qualify as beginners. I imagine
the majority of our users are people who are already comfortable with UNIX
and would have no problems setting up fetchmail, procmail, sendmail, or exim
to handle mail filtering for them.)

Perhaps, rather than stealing the filter language from another product, we
could make KMail play nice with procmail or something? Perhaps we could have
a module interface, or use DCOP, so that folks could add their own filtering
tools?

When I mentioned Perl in the previous post, I was really thinking of other
languages, too. Python and Perl would be easy to add. Once JavaScript gets up
to snuff with KDE, that would be easy to use to script filters as well.

As for rewriting KMail, that was a suggestion that I had. Some parts of it
could stand major revision. I'd be all too happy to fork the KMail
development into another application if everyone else is happy with how KMail
works now. I'm personally happy with most of what KMail does from a user
perspective and there are a few things I'd like to add, such as better mail
filtering and a better address book interface. (No, KAB doesn't cut it,
either.)

As a programmer, I see that some bits of the KMail codebase could use a few
nips and tucks, and maybe a complete rewrite here or there. Some cruftiness
has seaped in over the years.