List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Available charsets in composer
From:       Michael =?iso-8859-1?q?H=E4ckel?= <Michael () Haeckel ! Net>
Date:       2000-11-21 6:53:57

Hi,

Currently we show a list of encodings in the composer window depending on
the installed fonts. I think that is not a good idea. First we have this
problem, that "iso8859-2" should be "iso-8859-2". Also 10646-1 (unicode)
which we currently show there is not a valid 8 bit charset.

Then I don't understand, why it should only be possible for me to write mails
in charsets I have a font installed for. I have also a unicode font and
therefore am theoretically able to write mails in every charset that is
supported by QTextCodec. First I though, we should simple list all charsets
allowed in the internet, but this list might be a bit long
(http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/character-sets).

Therefore I suggest to make the whole list configurable. We should perhaps
have this list by default:

US-ASCII
UTF-8
Big5
ISO-2022-KR
EUC-JP
EUC-KR
GB2312
ISO-2022-JP
ISO-2022-JP-2
ISO-8859-1
ISO-8859-2
ISO-8859-3
ISO-8859-4
ISO-8859-5
ISO-8859-6
ISO-8859-7
ISO-8859-8
ISO-8859-9
ISO-8859-10
KOI8-R
Shift_JIS

That are all charsets with the comment (preferred MIME name) in that list.

It the user enters a charset name, we can of course do a sanity check by
testing if a QTextCodec exists for it.

Is this solution acceptable?

Regards,
Michael Häckel