List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: suggestion to block spam
From:       dep <dennispowell () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2000-10-31 22:32:29

On Tuesday 31 October 2000 17:27, Mark D'voo wrote:
| there should be an option included that allows users to send an
| email address that is spamming to a server where it is stored in a
| database .... When kmail checks mail, if one of the address is in
| the database, then it blocks that message and sends a nasty note
| back to the spammer .... everyone who uses kmail will be able to
| add spammers emails to the database hopefully blocking out spam all
| together ... i hate spam and i would love to see something like
| this implemented ... if you don't quite understand my explanation
| contact me

i understand your explanation, but you don't understand spam. first,
to reply to spam almost always guarantees a bounce, because the
addresses are almost always forged. the "remove" addresses exist to
confirm valid email addresses. if you want to deal with spam, to to
spamcop.com and go after 'em that way. though it would be a good idea
to read their newsgroups a few days before you begin.

--
dep