List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Nasty mail checking bug
From:       Casey Allen Shobe <cshobe () mediaone ! net>
Date:       2000-09-29 2:14:56

I'm posting this to the list because it's kind of difficult to describe, and
there will probably be requests for more info.

What happened is the following:

I had fetchmail setup and was using local mail checking fine in kmail.

I disabled sendmail, therefore closing my ability to receive smtp - stopped
using fetchmail for a while and used kmail to check my pop messages.  I left
the other account there, since it wasn't hurting kmail to check an empty file
every time I checked my mail.

I fired up kmail today, and started the check mail process.  My pop server is
really slow, so I decided to fix my fetchmail problem ;).  I hit the x button
in the kmail status bar to cancel the mail retrieval.

I turned sendmail back on, fired up fetchmail, and watched my local mail file
grow.  I then went into kmail's config and removed my pop account, exited,
and clicked check mail.  Nothing happened.  I noted a progress bar stuck at
0%, but no status message - I didn't take note if that was there before...

I had to close kmail, restart it, then mail checking worked fine.  Questions
for clarification welcome.

--
Casey Allen Shobe / ASI Technologies
cshobe@mediaone.net / cshobe@mailandnews.com