List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Status of kdenetwork module
From:       Don Sanders <don () sanders ! org>
Date:       2000-05-19 2:11:51

Yes there is a need for a volunteer for IMAP. Help would very much be
appreciated.

Have you got a copy of the KDE2 beta working? Are you familiar with the concept
of a KDE kioslave? See:

http://thebox.nebsllc.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/kdebase/kioslave/DESIGN?rev=1.1&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

(Actually even though the ideas are the same that document is a little out of
date, does anyone know if there is more uptodate documentation available?)

And for a good example of how a client uses a kioslave see kioslavetest.*:

http://thebox.nebsllc.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/kdelibs/kio/tests/?hideattic=1

If we can get a working IMAP kioslave implemented that will go a long way
towards getting IMAP support in KMail.

Supporting the disconnected use messaging model (rather than just the popular
offline messaging model used for pop) will still require some extra work.

Do I make sense when I talk about the "disconnected use" and "offline" models.
Actually I have virtually no experience with IMAP, I'm assuming most email
clients do infact support the "disconnected use" messaging model.

offline: 'Mail is pulled from server by client and then deleted from server'
online: 'Mail is left on server'
disconnected: 'Mail is pulled from but left on server, when online client is
synced with server'

BFN,
Don.