List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: KMail addressbook broken
From:       Don Sanders <don () sanders ! org>
Date:       2000-05-15 12:37:51

> From: Mirko Sucker <mirko.sucker@unibw-hamburg.de>
> Don Sanders wrote:
> >
> > Hi Mirko,
> >
> > I will update kdelibs/kab and try your changes again.
> >
> > I do want to retain support for the current address book as an option, this is
> > important, please accept this.
> >
> > I haven't discarded your modifications I will analyse them further tomorrow
> > (it's late here) and see if I can alter them so that both the kab GUI and the
> > old address book GUI is supported. (I'm okay with storing all entries using
> > libkab though).
> Hello Don!
> OK, letīs calm down.
>
> I think it would be more logical to write a one-cpp-file-application
> that reads in the contents of the plain kmail addressbook and adds them
> to the addressbook database. This is rather easy.

I think this code should be made part of KMail and done automatically when a user
starts KMail 1.1.x for the first time.

> And you might consider adding a mini-interface to libkab that looks like
> the current implementation, or possibly like a simple table showing the
> need fields.

Yes, might do so.

> If you create a simple stand-alone-app that reads the kmail addressbook
> I will do the rest (importing to kab database) ASAP.

I want to keep the old address book code in for KDE 2, so that it can be used
for this purpose.

> > > This is as I need some feedback what to provide to you. Merely: where do
> > > I have to put the set of all email addresses in the database? Then it
> > > should work again.
> >
> > kmcomposewin.cpp
> > void KMLineEdit::slotCompletion()
> >
> > It is not good for KMail to depend on kdeutils for the address book to work.
> > This is a good reason for retaning support for the exisiting GUI.
> Well, it does not depend on it, except that for now, you cannot edit
> much inside kmail. But implementing this will be duplicated code. Just a
> hint: If you have a look at the CVS kab, you will see that the looks
> (the main widget) of it are modular. You may create your own one. So, to
> use most of the existing structure, create the Don-Sanders-view for kab.
> See kdeutils/kab/look_basic.cc (.h) and at the two currently available
> implementations.

Ok.

> The error messages you got yesterday where caused as the template files
> should be in kdelibs, but where in kdeutils. This should be solved.

Yes, nice one Waldo. I would prefer no dialogs to pop up even for first time KMail
users.

> > Once the port of KMail to KAB is completed successfully I will have to include
> > the KAB GUI as part of KMail when KMail is eventually packaged as its own
> > module (similarly with the pop3 kioslave in kdebase).
> Hm. If you need a death-simple possibility to edit entries we may use
> this dialog popping when clicking on "new entry" (try to add an email
> address to the address book when using the kab-enabled (TM) version).
> May be one or two more fields, that should be enough for first.
> For me, it is most important to be able to mail to someone in the
> address book and to add the sender of an incoming mail to it.

Ok, that would be nice (for the case when the KAB GUI is selected as the default AB
GUI).

> > I will probably get the address book GUI I wrote into a usable form and port it
> > to libkab, so this will mean KMail will support 3 address books GUIs all using
> > libkab (isn't that nice).
> :-)
>

> > Eventually I want to support those 'esoteric' address book options, after KDE2
> > is released.
> Just stay in contact. Grouping, for example, is easy to add, I simply do
> not want to do changes other than bug fixes to the library by now, as it
> is stable and matured.

Sure, feel free to post to the kmail mailing list.

> > Finally don't get me wrong, it's just I'm very protective of KMail like to see
> > it kept in good working order. (This is because it took a lot of effort to get
> > it working again).
> Accepted.
>
> So letīs stay in touch, and marry those two apps. It will really be a
> benefit for both, I think.

Certainly users will benefit.

Right I wanted to say, temporarily I'm going to make using KAB (both libkab and the
GUI) optional in KMail (there will be a new menu item on the file menu). Then when
internally KMail is ported to libkab and when support for multiple ab GUIs is
supported I will remove the menu item.

For the immediate future both the old ab (both GUI and backend) will be supported
and kab (both the GUI and libkab) will be supported.

I was hoping to get this done by tonight by editing your modifications and
recommitting them but I have to pick someone up from the local train station in -2
minutes.

BFN,
Don.