List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: kmail status w/addressbook
From:       Don Sanders <don () sanders ! org>
Date:       2000-05-11 23:25:51

On Thu, 11 May 2000, NightFlight wrote:
> I'm not a developer (yet) so I shoudn't want to take too much of anyone's time.
> Forgive my impatience, I likely could have found this information if I had
> cared to lurk longer in this group.
>
> I have a few simple questions (hopefully not loaded).
>
> 1... Does the development (CVS) release of KMail complie against KDE 1.1.2 libs
> successfully.

No.

> I have QT 1.44  and 2.01.

> 2... Has the problem of the signature file not handling named pipes ever been
> addressed? It's likely a simple matter of changing the open file handle mode.
> At one point I wanted to set up a way to handle rotating signatures (randomly
> picked with a script or whatever) through a named pipe, but no go with KMail,
> works fine with Pine.

It think it always has, just everyone complained out how it couldn't without
bothering to read the source code. Look at kmidentity.cpp

//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
const QString KMIdentity::signature(void) const
{
  QString result, sigcmd;
  char tmpf[256];

  if (mSignatureFile.isEmpty()) return 0;

  if (mSignatureFile.right(1)=="|")
  {
    // signature file is a shell script that returns the signature
    tmpnam(tmpf);
    sigcmd = mSignatureFile.left(mSignatureFile.length()-1);
    sigcmd += " >";
    sigcmd += tmpf;
    system(sigcmd);

    if (errno)
    {
      warning(i18n("Failed to execute signature script\n%s\n%s"),
              sigcmd.data(), strerror(errno));
      return 0;
    }
    result = kFileToString(tmpf, TRUE, FALSE);
    unlink(tmpf);
  }
  else
  {
    result = kFileToString(mSignatureFile);
  }

  return result;
}

So append a "|" to the end of the filename to indicate to KMail that it is an
executable file. (Requiring this kind of explicity indicator is a good idea for
security reasons).

> Thanks, I'm an avid user and REALLY looking forward to using the development
> versions of KMail in the near future, but shaky about the KDE beta tree at this
> point. Not that I couldnt' handle it, just a pain in the arse when something
> breaks.... *grin*
>
> Oh, and one last question. Once KMail is "perfect" any plans to incorporate
> news reading into it? Perhaps even just front end to an existing app would be
> cool. Currently I use SLRN, but a GUI front end to it would be "cute", and
> smooth if it were right in KMail. Then I wouldn't have to labour and move my
> mouse alllll the way over to the other window to read news and go ALLLLL the
> way back again to read mail. *laugh*

There's still a lot of work to be done to improve it is a mail client.

BFN,
Don.