List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    TODO List  3-May-2000
From:       Don Sanders <don () sanders ! org>
Date:       2000-05-03 3:03:06

New Bugs:
-------

KMail consumes lots of memory at startup (really a library problem not
a KMail problem but we will get blamed for it so at least we should investigate
it further).

Several KMail operations are highly inefficient memory wise (compaction,
emptying folder, moving/copying/changing-status-of/applying-filters-to messages)

KMail takes up a lot of memory when viewing a folder with many messages in it.

KMail loads every message read into memory but does not free that memory until
the selected folder is changed.

koi8-r support is broken (apparently).

Bugs Done:
--------

DONE: Option to turn off html mail support.

DONE: RMB popup menu in header of header list for sorthing and threading
DONE: options. (I'm still thinking about this)

Decided RMB popup for threading option was not a good idea. Instead added extra
menu items to the folder menu. Sorting can stay like it is.

DONE: Rename threading option to "Thread list of message headers".

DONE: Umlaut things are being shown right in header list and in the composer.
(Just a wrong charset problem)

DONE: Html mail can crash kmail.
Fixed by Waba? Hurray!!! (But still get annoying cannot connect to site dialogs
when off line.)

Bugs Outstanding:
-------------

Support for fixed sized font for date column.
(support only by #ifdef sanders in kmheaders.cpp)

Finish support for multiple smtp servers (this is multiple mail transport
support).

Inspect and apply Daniel's patches.
(Mostly done)

> Some operations are highly ineffiicient memory wise.
Broke this into several smaller bugs.

Make pop account time out configurable.

Sometimes the send dialog isn't being closed even though the mail is being
sent fine.

> Y2038K bug (only applies to 64bit architectures).
Actually this is a, umm, ~Y2270 bug, So it's not as a high a priority as I
thought, but should still be fixed.

> Use MD5 checksums for msgId and msgReplyId
Should be merged with one of the new memory bugs.

> ?Enhance threading message support to handle children arriving after parents.
I'm unlikely to find the time to do this.

> Clean up kmfoldertree and kmheaders code.
>
> Remove duplicate email addresses when replying to all.
>
> When changing from long/short folder layout try to reparent QSplitters (this
> requires working around a QT quirk).
Instead I might just add some code to make sure the shortcuts work after
reparenting.

> Icons for attachments are broken
>
> Spell checking makes the document read only.

IMAP, better addressbook, search dialog.
Nested attachments more than two levels deep.
Byte count when downloading mail (experimental pop account only)

BFN,
Don.