List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: kmail
From:       Mario Weilguni <mweilguni () sime ! com>
Date:       2000-05-02 16:15:16

Am Die, 02 Mai 2000 schrieb Don Sanders:
> On Tue, 02 May 2000, Mario Weilguni wrote:
> > Am Die, 02 Mai 2000 schrieb Don Sanders:
> > > A nice note from Matthias Elter (sent to kde-core).
> > >
> > > Thanks very much Matthias.
> > >
> > > BFN,
> > > Don

> > Well, since Saturday I use KDE CVS as desktop and kmail as new mailer,
> > and I am very impressed too, especially the reply-highlighting code,
> > nested folders and identities (which seem to be unfinished, though) are
> > cool features.
>
> What is not working with mutiple identites? You should be able to:
>
> Create multiple identities using the configuration dialog.
> Use a filter to set the identity to be used when replying to a message (it
> should be the first filter in the list).
> Select an identity to use when composing a message.
> Make your selected identity the default by clicking the sticky checkbox.

You are right, I had to check "View/Identity" to set the identity when
sending mail. My default was off. Works great

> You don't have to do all of these things, it depends on what kind of user
> you are.
>
> > The only real problem is growing memory usage...
>
> Can you give more details, do you mean at start up or over time. Are you
> comparing to KMail 1.0.x or making an absolute statement.

Example (real world, folders just renamed for easier reading):
* I've have folders A, B and C
* A --> 5 messages
* B --> ~4500 messages
* C --> ~9000 messages

1. After startup, VMDATA is ~1.9 MB
2. After selecting folder B, VMDATA goes up to ~9.5 MB
3. After selecting folder A again, memory stays at 9.5
4. After selecting folder C, memory goes up to 17.2 MB
5. After selecting folder A again, it stays at 17.2
6. After selecting folder B, marking all messages, and using "Message/Set
Status/Read", memory goes up to 57MB
7. After selecting folder A again, memory stays at 57 MB
8. After selecting folder C, marking all messages and mark all read, memory
goes up to 109MB
9. After repeating step 6, memory only slightly increases to 111MB

As it seems, we have HUGE malloc fragmentation here. I'll try to check this
too.

Hope this info helps.

Ciao,
	Mario