List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Serious Kmail memory problems (v1.0.29.1)
From:       Don Sanders <don () sanders ! org>
Date:       2000-04-27 23:28:21

On Fri, 28 Apr 2000, Stefan Taferner wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Apr 2000, Daniel Naber wrote:
> > On Don, 27 Apr 2000, Don Sanders wrote:
> > > file format used to store and index mails. Specifically one would use a
> > > btree based file format to store all the mails in then store index files
> >
> > The right way to do this is to use a real database anyway. No really, I
> > like the idea but I don't want to implement it :-)
> >
> > The big disadvantage would be the dependence on another (big) software
> > installed. Yes, I know we cannot change this easily anyway.
>
> Otherwise, making the mail messages themselves unreadable from outside is a
> very bad idea, but I think this is obvious to everybody ;-)
>
> The way that *is* possible is to store each mail in a separate file
> (like mh or maildir) and have the index file be proprietary (read: kmail
> specific). The index file would then contain the btree.
>
> We already have a kmail specific index file, so we can do with the index file
> what we are pleased.

Hopefully using a most recently used caching algorithm for the message lists
will eliminate the problem that started this thread.

I suspect mh/maildir formats are a bad idea as (apparently) comtemporary
filesystems can't really handle tens of thousands of files in a single
directory. (I mean the performance is terrible).

BFN,
Don.