List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: tearing my hair
From:       Don Sanders <don () sanders ! org>
Date:       2000-04-27 11:19:12

[Interesting and potentially useful information deleted]

> haven't tried this; i usually do a full cvsup and build it. however, i
> *have* tried to build kmail 1.1.41 atop the 4/16 libs; its behavior --
> opening and crashing -- is the same.

Aha! Well this is marvelous. This will make the job of debugging the problem
much easier!!!

Send me a diff of KMail 1.1.41 and KMail 1.1.40 (that is make a copy of the
directories run make clean in each directory and then issue the command
diff -crb KMail-1.1.40-directory-copy KMail-1.1.41-directory-copy

Even if you can't program you have a good chance of being able to track down
the bug yourself now. Start with the good KMail 1.1.40 (make a backup of it,
put it in a safe place, don't lose it). and slowly morph it into the bad
KMail 1.1.41. Let me explain.

By looking at the diff you will be able to see which files have changed.
kmreaderwin.* sounds like a likely candidate for what's causing the problem,
so copy kmreadwin.cpp and kmreaderwin.h from KMail 1.1.41 to KMail 1.1.40.
Recompile it (hopefully you wont' get any errors IIRC correctly all the
recent changes have been neat self contained changes that don't affect the
dependencies between files) and run KMail again. If KMail doesn't work you
know there is a problem in kmreaderwin.* that is causing you grief. (And
hopefully there is only one problem so it is the problem that is causing you
grief).

Now look at all the changes in kmreaderwin. Try only applying half of them
(okay you might have to know how to program to work out how to do this, but
even if you can't program it is often easy to guess). By this method of
continually investigating the problematic area at higer resolutions you
should be able to narrow down the problem to a narrow area.

Then you can tell me exactly what the problem is.

I can give you some more precise instructions on what to do if you send me
the diffs.

> > Another thing to try is to reconfigure the kdenetwork package containing
> > KMail 1.1.41 ./configure your-normal-options --enable-debug
> >
> > then remake KMail and then use gdb to get a backtrace.

This might help but do try the above method.

> i'll do this today and see what we get. right now, in search of a
> solution to what seems a video problem, i'm downloading all that i
> supposedly need to upgrade to xf86-4.0, after which i'll build the
> latest kde (and all problems will have disappeared!<g>). right now i'm
> stuck trying to find something called libmtempter and something else
> called libxfont; i can find no reference to the former anywhere, and the
> latter seems to be a debian-only thing, and i'm not on debian, i'm on
> caldera.

That seems like a lot of effort. If you have a version that does work and the
next version doesn't work it should be relatively easy to track down the
problem.

BFN,
Don.