List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: tearing my hair
From:       dep <dep () snet ! net>
Date:       2000-04-27 10:53:07

Don Sanders wrote:

> To me it sounds like a problem with the html widget.
>
> If you goto kdelibs/khtml and
> make testkhtml
> and try and a view a page with something like
> ./testkhtml your-qt-copy/doc/html/index.html
>
> does it work, or does it crash or lock up?
>
> Can you compile konqueror and get it to run? (Actually for a week of so
> konqueror has been segfaulting at start up here).

no problem getting konqueror to run or to display html; keeping it
running, though, has become a bit of a chore, especially when the
internal viewer us used for a plain text file. it will lock unexpectedly
and apparently randomly and while the rest of kde functions, the window
containing what used to be konqueror will not go away, though it becomes
corrupted over time, with pieces of whatever windows were displayed over
it; nothing short of closing x and restarting causes it to go away, and
top reports no evidence of it. in my estimation, there's some big video
handling trouble. the konqueror situation seems to have gotten much
worse in the last week or so, so i suspect we're in one of those two
steps forward, one step back modes for now.

> If you completely move our .kde directory out of the way can you get KMail to
> work?

depends on the definition of "work." it comes up as something i don't
much recognize, truth be known. i can configure it, but there is no
message display pane at all.

> But there are several things that don't make sense.
> You say KMail 1.1.40 work but KMail 1.1.41 does not. Does this mean that you
> can get KMail 1.1.40 to work on top of the kde libraries that you checked out
> along with 1.1.41? (I mean reconfigure that package to use the newer kde
> libraries and install it)

haven't tried this; i usually do a full cvsup and build it. however, i
*have* tried to build kmail 1.1.41 atop the 4/16 libs; its behavior --
opening and crashing -- is the same.

> Another thing to try is to reconfigure the kdenetwork package containing KMail
> 1.1.41 ./configure your-normal-options --enable-debug
>
> then remake KMail and then use gdb to get a backtrace.

i'll do this today and see what we get. right now, in search of a
solution to what seems a video problem, i'm downloading all that i
supposedly need to upgrade to xf86-4.0, after which i'll build the
latest kde (and all problems will have disappeared!<g>). right now i'm
stuck trying to find something called libmtempter and something else
called libxfont; i can find no reference to the former anywhere, and the
latter seems to be a debian-only thing, and i'm not on debian, i'm on
caldera.

this detective stuff is a lot more fun when it's, say, some goofy game
or a new editor or something.<g>

--
dep