List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    additional clues in kmail crash
From:       dep <dep () snet ! net>
Date:       2000-04-25 17:58:19

greetings!

as noted, recent builds of kmail have crashed here. today i tried to
get to the bottom of it, as follows:

using my working kmail, 1.1.40 of 4/16, i went through all my folders
and made sure that all messages were marked as read. interestingly,
one folder reports 27 unread messages no matter what i do -- and it
contains no unread messages. if memory serves, this was a bug that i
thought got squashed weeks, if not months, ago. i also emptied my
inbox. i then switched to a day-old build of kde2 cvsup harvest,
including the anti-html hack dod has suggested in kmail.

the new kmail now opened normally. i was able to execute kppp and
collect the new mail, which appeared in the new mail list normally.
so far so good. but when i clicked on a (plain text, btw) message, it
first appeared, but then the entire kmail window became blank except
for a titlebar that contained the subject of the message; after a
fraction of a second kmail crashed and disappeared, again without an
appearance by the kde crash handler, which has not been shy about
showing up very nearly everytime a kde application is simply closed.

clicking on any of the folders produces the same effect. and doing
this without any existing ~/Mail produces the same effect. so it does
not seem to be a problem with my ~/Mail.

i'm at a total loss.
--
dep
__