List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: 4/22 cvsup compiles but crashes
From:       Don Sanders <don () sanders ! org>
Date:       2000-04-24 23:43:50

Hi Dep,

hope you don't mind me cc'ing kmail@kde.org

On Tue, 25 Apr 2000, you wrote:
> i'm wondering -- do you suppose that there's a sort order issue that
> is the cause of newer kmails (newer than 4/16) to crash when started
> if it points to my existing ~/Mail?

What I think may have happened is that the current item in your inbox was a
html mail. Currently KMail is crashing or hanging when I try to view html
mails. This seems to be due to a bug in the kioslaves. You can see it
mentioned on the kde bugs page and I reported it on the core developer list.

Frankly KMails practically unusable with this bug. Perhaps you could endure
it by using the disable html mail patch I sent you a while ago.

Things like experimental pop accounts have also become flaky due to the
kioslave troubles.

> i'm wondering if there's
> something that kmail 1.1.40 did that is unsupported by the newer
> versions. because if there is, i'll happily go through my inbox and
> folders and undo it, restoring things to their defaults, and then
> live happily ever after.

Not to sure what you mean by that, but try disabling html mail.

> all i can say with certainty is that my inbox is currently sorted by
> order of arrival; some folders are sorted by whatever means is or was
> the default -- i've just moved stuff nto them over time -- and some
> are sorted by date or by sender (or recipient in the case of sent
> mail). might any of this be what's breaking kmail?

I don't think so.

> interestingly, the newer kmail works just fine with my existing
> ~./kde/share/config/kmailrc, so i doubt that anything there is
> causing the trouble; my ~/Mail crashes the new version even when the
> config file is moved out of the way, so it seems not to be any weird
> interaction between them. i've tried deleting all the .index files,
> but this does not solve the problem, either.

Hmm.

> one possibility, i suppose, might be a matter of dating, in that i
> have several messages i've received, typically from the same people,
> with very screwy dates -- 00:00 on 31 december 1969 seems to be a
> popular one. but it's never caused kmail trouble before.

I don't think so.

> this has me really perplexed, and i expect you, too.

I think the current mail in your inbox (probably an html mail) is killing
KMail. Trying disabling html mail.

For better or worse we're at the mercy of the lib developers, I just hope the
 kioslave problems are fixed soon, it's a nightmare!

BFN,
Don.