List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Kmail TODO
From:       Don Sanders <don () sanders ! org>
Date:       2000-04-07 14:59:06

The highest priority feature to implement now is support for multiple
identities.

By Espen:
<quote>
Well, the GUI is in place (and in cvs). I made my own list object to store
the data internally in the dialog. When the dialog is opened I load the
data of KMIdentity into the first entry of the list, but saving will be
difficult since I can only store one identity. If someone that knows how
things
work a little bit better than me can make the KMIdentity into a class that
supports more than one identity I would be happy. If so, please have a look
at configuredialog.h because the KMIdentity needs some more members
to manage the "inline signature" option.

I have started to redesign the "Account Settings" dialogs as well. I will
add a combo in these boxes where the user can select the identity that
should be associated with the account.
</quote>

This requires doing a few things.
Write some logic to store/load a list of identities in the config file.

Use a different config file section for every Identity, notice how every
identiy must be given a name (there really should be one "Default" that you
can't delete). Using the [Identity-<name>] section to store information for
the identity with name <name>. (Except if the name is "Default" then just
look in the plain [Identity] section)

Update the kernel to return a list of Identities so you can:
QStringList identities = kernel->identity()->identityList();

Also add methods for setting the current identity section to write to, update
the other identity methods to use the current identity section.

Update configuredialog.cpp
void IdentityList::importData()
void IdentityList::exportData()

to save and load list of identities.

Update the filter dialog, craete a new filter action "Set Reply Identity",
this will allow the user to set the identity used when replying to a message,
show a drop down list of all the identity names.

Implement this filter action by adding a new field to the message as it is
processed "X-KMail-Identity" should do.

Change the compose window so it uses the identity specified when replying to
a message. Also change the from field into a drop down box of identities,
don't bother about changing the signature, but do use the correct
Organization and Email Address (hmm I notice there is a reply-to address
ignore this for the moment) when sending a message.

These also colorfied indenting which was talked about recently.

Smaller features

2) Freeze the width of the folder list using
QSplitter::setResizeMode( verticalSplitterWidget, KeepSize)
so that when the toplevel window is resized, the splitter line will remain
fixed. The splitter will then only be moved when the user actually drags it as
in note (1)

Fix the geometry in the appearance->layout tab (I messed it up) maybe change
an addStretch to an addSpacing

The following things I haven't tested

Printing and session management.

Also there are the following bugs

http://bugs.kde.org/db/27/2796.html
"After checking the spelling when composing a message, you can no longer edit
the message"

http://bugs.kde.org/db/29/2931.html
"Subject Text does not display Umlaute"

and
http://bugs.kde.org/db/29/2917.html
"KMail krashes if I open a very big mail, like Flashback News Agency, which
is a monthly "alternative" newsletter, usually 200-300Kb pure text."

But I suspect this is actually a Khtml bug.

BFN,
Don.