List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: kmail 1.0.29.1 (and 1.0.28) crashes on this mailfolder
From:       Hartmut Meyer <hartmut.meyer () web ! de>
Date:       2000-03-29 11:43:31

On Wed, 29 Mar 2000 Stefan Taferner wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Mar 2000, Sven Radej wrote:
> > On Wed, 29 Mar 2000, Hartmut Meyer wrote:
> > >Hi,
> > >
> > >I attached a file which at least for me crashes kmail when attempting to
> > > open it. It consist of only one message (a digest of the mandrake-expert
> > > list). I have already shortened that one message as far as possible.
> > > Further shortening results in the folder opening up correctly.
> > >Sorry for not tackling this problem myself, but Iīm not yet in the
> > >KDE-developing (e.g. I donīt even know how to start the debugger). Anyway
> > > - this might change, so if nobody else fixes this (and it is definitely a
> > > bug, since pine opens that folder/message no bother), I might be forced
> > > to teach myself some debugging. But this wonīt happen very soon ...
> >
> > I can open your attachment without problems (KMail 1.0.28). I inserted it

Hm, maybe I shouldnīt have said that 1.0.28 has the same Problem. Fact is, I
had that sort of Problem when I was using 1.0.28 once or twice with a posting
from the same mailing-list. So I havenīt tried with this one (I donīt have
1.0.28) anymore - or wait, this can be fixed ...
... well, it does happen to me when using 1.0.28 - confirmed.
one thing I noticed just there: the first time I tried to open it, it sort of
worked, though the index was sort of messed up. The reason was, I had an old
.buggy-folder.index lying around. After removing this old file, it sure enough
crashed again.
One more thing I tried, is to make an empty mail folder with only the
buggy-folder in it. Doesnīt help either.

> > into my inbox and kmail started ok.  So I guess something is wrong with
> > your mailboxes. Are you auto-compacting them? (File->Settings, tab "Misc",

Yes, "compact all folders on exit" is active.

> > check "Compact all folders on exit") Iīd suggest to backup your ~/Mail dir
> > first!
>
> Same for me with nearly current CVS version of kmail :-)

Could you point out to me how I can trace that problem any better? Any other
suggestions appart from the "compact all folders on exit" thing? Maybe you
want to recommend some start-up reading for debugging a KDE-app?

Any comments appreciated
hartmut