List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    KXMLGui and KMKernel
From:       Sven Radej <sven () lisa ! exp ! univie ! ac ! at>
Date:       2000-03-27 7:46:30

Hi,

I started to port composer to use KActions and KXMLGui. This will give us
smaller size and configurable toolbars for free. Also Iīd like to to port
Composer and later Reader to inherit  KTMainWindow properly without
KMTopWidget. This will enable us the folowing window close policy:

If last main window (composer or reader closes):
- if itīs reader and we are downloading mail, ask confirmation to stop and close
  window.
- if itīs composer with unsent mail, ask confirmation to to stop and close window
- if all windows are closed, KMKernel will:
     - compact all folders (if selected/needed).
     - if there is queued mail, ask (configurable) wether to send it now
     - if the mail is being sent, exit after sending it.

This is how itīs done now, but it is done in complex way. Iīd like to simplify
it to avoid possible bugs.

So kernel can continue to live for some time even if windows are closed. It
will respond to dcop call from another kmail instance (except sending is
blocking right now, and a big compact job too :-( ). We might consider
some progress indicator for that case (no windows, but we work) - perhaps
an docked icon?

bye,
--
Sven Radej      radej@kde.org