List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: TODO List (Rivyn's duplicate copy ideas)
From:       Don Sanders <dsanders () cch ! com ! au>
Date:       2000-03-21 22:57:29

On Wed, 22 Mar 2000, Rivyn (Casey Shobe) wrote:
> >  Multiple accounts
> >    (with customizable signatures, send mail config, and email address).
> very useful - may I suggest something similar to the 'change identity' option
> in Outlook Express 5?

Please explain, I only have Outlook Express 4. BTW What are the differences
between 4 and 5?

> >  Index file needs reply to and this id
> I'm in the dark on this one...

I meant to enable threading.

> >   (Threading maybe not hard to do but maybe hard to get just right)
> :) - will be wonderful if you can get it working just right.
> >  Update about dialog
> mandatory
> >  Backing pixmaps (waiting for QT)
> what is this?

It's just eye candy kind of theming stuff, I have it working already locally
but I needed to copy some QT code and reuse it in KMail which isn't allowed.

It allows backing pixmaps to be used in each of the three windows in the top
level window. Just good for showing off when you are asked to impress
nontechnical/superficial people :-)

> >  (Non blocking sending of mail, not in the near future)
> what is this?

It's what you asked for, when sending mail don't freeze the UI.

> >  (IMAP unrealistic in near future)
> what *exactly* is the difference between pop3 and imap anyways?

Do a search on google, no time to explain myself.

> Now for my idea(s):
>
> I use KMail 1.0.28 for reference.
>
> Sometimes fetchmail and/or my mail server will act funny and I'll get 3 copies
> fo the exact same message, exact date and all, exact text, etc.  Could there be
> only one email shown please?  For example, make kmail automatically
> delete/merge the unwanted duplicates?

Hmm, not sure about that.

> I currently have over 40 mailing list folders - sometimes people crosspost to
> three mailing lists, and of course, all the crossposts appear in one folder as
> identical emails - could kmail be made intelligent enough to realize that if
> there is a duplicate email, then before deleting it, check through the
> recipients list, and compare that to your filters, and if it matches more than
> one filter, have it so that it puts one copy in one mailing list folder, and
> one copy in another?  This would be a very nice touch - a bit of sophistication
> which AFAIK no email client has yet.  Shouldn't really be to hard...could be
> done with or without the suggestion of the above paragraph.  I can explain in
> further detail if I am being unclear...

Yeah that's bloody annoying, it would be a very cool feature.

Sorry both of these have to be low priority. (Please don't ask me to
explain why I prioritize things the way I do).

BFN,
Don.