List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: New config dialog
From:       Rivyn (Casey Shobe) <rivyn () mailandnews ! com>
Date:       2000-03-21 12:49:57

On Mon, 20 Mar 2000, Espen Sand wrote:
> At 04:03 PM 3/19/00 -0500, you wrote:
> >On Sun, 19 Mar 2000, Espen Sand wrote:
> >> If you resize the toplevel window, the width of the folderlist shold
> remain
> >> fixed. One don't (at least not me) resize the toplevel window in order to
> >> change width of the folder list. If that is required then one should
> move the
> >> vertical splitter instead.
> >
> >I still don't see what you mean - what is the "toplevel window"?
>
> The window that has a caption bar and WM decorations around it.

Oh, okay, on this I strongly agree - the KFM in kde 1.1.2 has the tree view
that resizes with toplevel window resizing, as does ksirc windows - which IMHO
is stupid, and I hate it.  I really really hate it.  I mean, I get the width I
want, then adjust the size of the window (I do this a lot), and I have to go
adjust the width of the column again.  It is pointless and I don't think such a
"zoom" feature is even useful.  It's especially horrible when you downsize the
toplevel window and your column becomes very skinny.

KMail in KDE 1.1.2 has a vewy nice memory of widths/heights, and I agree 100%
on this.  Window resizing adjusting the size of subportions is a BAD idea IMHO.
--
- Rivyn [ Casey Allen Shobe ]
- rivyn@mailandnews.com [ UIN: 1494523 ]