List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Multiple Identities (was Re: New config dialog)
From:       Stefan Taferner <taferner () salzburg ! co ! at>
Date:       2000-03-21 7:47:22

On Fri, 17 Mar 2000, Don Sanders wrote:
> Actually this doesn't work for me. I have multiple email addresses,
> sanders@kde.org, don@sanders.org, dsanders@cch.com.au, the first two just
> redirect mail to the third one. So I have multiple email addresses and one
> pop account (or multiple addresses and one local account as I use fetchmail
> at home at the moment).
>
> When I reply to a message I would like KMail to automatically set the
> "From:" address to  whichever one of the above email addresses is used to
> send email to me.
>
> John Aldrich suggested a method for doing this by parsing the "Received:"
> fields in the message header. I think this will work.

This might be a bit tricky.

I think it would be easier to have some extra header field inserted by
kmail, e.g. "X-KMail-Identity" that sets the default identity for replies.

Then allow the user to change this identity with a combo box, as suggested
before.

The plus of my approach: you can set the identity with filter rules easily.
Also you do not need to bother with Received lines which do not have a
standard AFAIK.

Don, for your case: you could then use a filter rule to set the identity,
depending on your name in the header.

Kind regards,
Stefan