List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: New config dialog
From:       Espen Sand <espensa () online ! no>
Date:       2000-03-19 13:37:42

On Sun, 19 Mar 2000, Rivyn (Casey Shobe) wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Mar 2000, Don Sanders wrote:
> > On Fri, 17 Mar 2000, Espen Sand wrote:
> > > Yes, I do. Actually I just tried the long folder list layout for the first
> > > time ever right now :)
> > KMail would have crashed but that's due to a QT bug (honest!)
> >
> > > and I prefer the short (ok, old habbit). I think the
> > > list should be short by default because a new users have  few or no
> > > folders. A long list layout will in that case just waste space.
>
> But they could turn it off.  Consider average screen resolutions these days,
> sure, you have maybe 0.1% of the linux community running @ 640x480, maybe
> 10-30% running at 800x600, and the rest running at 1024x768 or above.  I run at
> 1600x1200.  First off, using the short folder list means I have a lot of wasted
> screen space since emails are limited to a certain number of characters, they
> don't wrap at the end of a resizeable window (well, HTML does).  Anyways,
> Before this, I was running at 1024 and 800 resolutions - and still used a long
> folder list.  Why?  because at those resolutions, I'd run kmail maximized, and
> there was plenty of room for it.  Also, I'm on a lot of mailing lists, and have
> a separate folder & filter for each one.  I like to be able to see more than 5
> at once.
>
> How about this, in Kmail 1.0.28, The folders pane is titled with a little
> "Folders" header.  Well why not put a little icon in the right of this header
> that would toggle between short and long view?

I have no strong opinion on this. Just keep making it possible select both
modes and select the one that provides the cleanest interface as the
default. IMHO a folderlist that can display 30+ folders is not really required
to be the default option.

I toggle indicator in the header would be nice. The long folder option was a
hidden gem (at least to me :) for a long time.

> > > Some random notes:
> > >
> > > 1) Turn off the horizontal scrollbars in the folder list. They are not
> > > uselful. If a user needs better access then the vertical splitter can be
> > > moved to provide that.  The horizontal scrollbars just clutters the
> > > interface in this case.
>
> No, that is the way KDE 1.0.28 operates and it's annoying as hell.  I like
> scrollars to come along when necessary.  Maybe I want to scroll just enough to
> see all of the text but hide the icons.

oh well, perhaps the horz. scrollbar is more necessary now when one can have
folders in folders (a branched treelist). I did not think of that when I wrote
the text above so perhaps I was wrong there.

> > > 2) Freeze the width of the folder list using
> > > QSplitter::setResizeMode( verticalSplitterWidget, KeepSize)
> > > so that when the toplevel window is resized, the splitter line will remain
> > > fixed. The splitter will then only be moved when the user actually drags it
> > > as in note (1)
>
> What does this mean?

If you resize the toplevel window, the width of the folderlist shold  remain
fixed. One don't (at least not me) resize the toplevel window in order to
change width of the folder list. If that is required then one should move the
vertical splitter instead.

--
Espen Sand