List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: New config dialog
From:       Rivyn (Casey Shobe) <rivyn () mailandnews ! com>
Date:       2000-03-19 11:59:39

On Sun, 19 Mar 2000, Don Sanders wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Mar 2000, Espen Sand wrote:
> > Yes, I do. Actually I just tried the long folder list layout for the first
> > time ever right now :)
> KMail would have crashed but that's due to a QT bug (honest!)
>
> > and I prefer the short (ok, old habbit). I think the
> > list should be short by default because a new users have  few or no
> > folders. A long list layout will in that case just waste space.

But they could turn it off.  Consider average screen resolutions these days,
sure, you have maybe 0.1% of the linux community running @ 640x480, maybe
10-30% running at 800x600, and the rest running at 1024x768 or above.  I run at
1600x1200.  First off, using the short folder list means I have a lot of wasted
screen space since emails are limited to a certain number of characters, they
don't wrap at the end of a resizeable window (well, HTML does).  Anyways,
Before this, I was running at 1024 and 800 resolutions - and still used a long
folder list.  Why?  because at those resolutions, I'd run kmail maximized, and
there was plenty of room for it.  Also, I'm on a lot of mailing lists, and have
a separate folder & filter for each one.  I like to be able to see more than 5
at once.

How about this, in Kmail 1.0.28, The folders pane is titled with a little
"Folders" header.  Well why not put a little icon in the right of this header
that would toggle between short and long view?

> > Some random notes:
> >
> > 1) Turn off the horizontal scrollbars in the folder list. They are not
> > uselful. If a user needs better access then the vertical splitter can be
> > moved to provide that.  The horizontal scrollbars just clutters the
> > interface in this case.

No, that is the way KDE 1.0.28 operates and it's annoying as hell.  I like
scrollars to come along when necessary.  Maybe I want to scroll just enough to
see all of the text but hide the icons.

> > 2) Freeze the width of the folder list using
> > QSplitter::setResizeMode( verticalSplitterWidget, KeepSize)
> > so that when the toplevel window is resized, the splitter line will remain
> > fixed. The splitter will then only be moved when the user actually drags it
> > as in note (1)

What does this mean?

> > 3) Reason for (2) is that if a user resizes the toplevel window it is
> > because the text area and /or the "Sender-Subject" area have the wrong
> > size. It is never because the folder list is too wide or narrow.
> >
> > In short: I want the KDE 1.x versions behaviour back  :)

Apologies, as I haven't used 1.1.x in a while - could somebody fill me in?

--
- Rivyn [ Casey Allen Shobe ]
- rivyn@mailandnews.com [ UIN: 1494523 ]