List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: New config dialog
From:       Don Sanders <dsanders () cch ! com ! au>
Date:       2000-03-19 11:41:57

On Fri, 17 Mar 2000, Espen Sand wrote:
> Yes, I do. Actually I just tried the long folder list layout for the first
> time ever right now :)
KMail would have crashed but that's due to a QT bug (honest!)

> and I prefer the short (ok, old habbit). I think the
> list should be short by default because a new users have  few or no
> folders. A long list layout will in that case just waste space.

Ok, since you at least prefer short folder, I guess that the default
shouldn't be changed without an open discussion. But I think there are higher
priority things to do at the moment.

> Some random notes:
>
> 1) Turn off the horizontal scrollbars in the folder list. They are not
> uselful. If a user needs better access then the vertical splitter can be
> moved to provide that.  The horizontal scrollbars just clutters the
> interface in this case.
>
> 2) Freeze the width of the folder list using
> QSplitter::setResizeMode( verticalSplitterWidget, KeepSize)
> so that when the toplevel window is resized, the splitter line will remain
> fixed. The splitter will then only be moved when the user actually drags it
> as in note (1)
>
> 3) Reason for (2) is that if a user resizes the toplevel window it is
> because the text area and /or the "Sender-Subject" area have the wrong
> size. It is never because the folder list is too wide or narrow.
>
> In short: I want the KDE 1.x versions behaviour back  :)

These suggestions sound fine, I have no objection at all.

Also if I didn't make it clear already please continue with the config
dialog, it's a significant improvement, and the concern I raised before
presents only a minor obstacle that can be dealt with later.

BFN,
Don.