List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Fwd: KMail
From:       Don Sanders <dsanders () cch ! com ! au>
Date:       2000-03-12 23:29:49

On Mon, 13 Mar 2000, Reginald Stadlbauer wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Mar 2000, Don Sanders wrote:
> >>
> >> Well, I like focus and working with apps which have working focus
> >> handling which is not the case in KMail currently.
> >
> >You seem to be advocating Outlook express like navigation/selection. I
> > don't like this style and I'm going to try and explain why. However I'm
> > not trying to force my personal preferences on other people, and if
> > people want normal (MS style) focus handling just say so. (Or in Reggie's
> > case please reconfirm)
>
> I think, if the focus is on the message view (HTML view), of course arrow
> up/down work on this and things like N, P, +, - for navigating through
> messages is fine.

Hmm, so when the message view (HTML view) has focus unmodified N, P, +, -
would be used, but when the folder or header list views have focus Ctrl-N,
Ctrl-P, Ctrl-Plus, Ctrl-Minus would be used (or these shortcuts would be
completely disabled?).

That's confusing having the shortcut key depend on the active view.

I guess you could show in the pull down menu "Ctrl-N" as the shortcut, and
that would work no matter what view was active, but as an extra bonus if the
message view is active then unmodified "N" (or right arrow) would navigate to
the next message, (and by default the focus would be placed on the message
view when KMail is started)

Actually that's not bad. It means that users like me can have there efficient
keyboard navigation (but hardly anyone will know how this works). And at the
same time everyone can enjoy standard navigation/selection behaviour in the
folders and headers list views.

Hmm, I just spent several hours yesterday implementing new keyboard handling
I'm personally very happy with, and have already checked it in so I don't
feel like rushing into anything at the moment. Let me think about this a bit
more before I commit new behaviour, (I can think of a number of problems but
maybe this can work).

> BUTTT(tm) if I click onto the header listview or tab into
> it I _want_ to have the focus there and arrow up/down, etc. should work as
> expected. Same for folder list.

Okay I understand you just want normal navigation/selection behaviour to be
supported. My complaint is (was?) this leads to an inefficient interface for
mail reading. But perhaps we can have the best of both worlds.

Are you ok with the "not bad" behaviour described above? (Maybe this is what
you meant all along?)

BFN,
Don.