List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Fwd: KMail
From:       Reginald Stadlbauer <reggie () troll ! no>
Date:       2000-03-04 21:51:32

On Sat, 04 Mar 2000, you wrote:
> [...]

Yes, exactly.

>> Works like in the detail view of the windows
>>  explorer or so.
>
>Okay, some funky stuff does happen in windows explorer when you select files
>by mouse dragging, I'm guessing you don't support that? (I mean the way you
>select files by clicking and dragging in explorer).

Well, I guess not all is doen exactly the same way as on windows, but quite
similar.

>> So I think this selection mode should be used and
>>  don't reimplement the keyboard handling (I want to be able to use
>>  key-up/key-down when the listview has the focus, etc.).
>
>Hmm, key-up/key-down, to iterate through the list of messages rather than to
>scroll the html pane you mean?

Well, I want to navigate in the widget which has the focus - just the normal
way...

>Personally I'm against this whole focus thing, I think it's confusing to the
>user, unnecessary, makes users less productive and leads to physical injury
>through stressful tab/shift-tabbing.
>
>I want to eliminate the concept of an active pane (folder tree, headers list,
>html pane) in KMail and perform all common actions using single letter
>non-modified keystrokes.
>
>I used Outlook Express (4) for a while and it's poor keyboard handling (due
>to its use of active panes) drove me nuts.

Well, I like focus and working with apps which have working focus handling
which is not the case in KMail currently.

--
Reggie