List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Fwd: KMail
From:       Don Sanders <dsanders () cch ! com ! au>
Date:       2000-03-04 20:54:00

> Subject: KMail
> Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 17:57:21 +0100
> From: Reginald Stadlbauer <reggie@troll.no>
> Hi!
Hi,

> As you two seem to be the people who work most on KMail recently:
> I'm using now KMail from KDE2 since some days and have noticed that the
> listview is used a bit strange. Here I mean that you use
>  multi-selection and implement an own keyboad handling.

The keyboard handling is a bit messed up.This is a known problem.

> Well, the selection modes were bad until Qt beta 2. As we switched to
>  that in KDE now, I'd suggest to use in the headers listview the
>  Extended selection mode.
>
> This works like single selection mode (when doing key-up/key-down,
> mouseclick, etc.) but with combination of SHIFT or CONTROL multiple
>  items can be selected.

Hmm, shift, and control selection is already supported. Are you simply saying
I can simplify the code and keep to a consistent standard by using extended
selection mode?

> Works like in the detail view of the windows
>  explorer or so.

Okay, some funky stuff does happen in windows explorer when you select files
by mouse dragging, I'm guessing you don't support that? (I mean the way you
select files by clicking and dragging in explorer).

> So I think this selection mode should be used and
>  don't reimplement the keyboard handling (I want to be able to use
>  key-up/key-down when the listview has the focus, etc.).

Hmm, key-up/key-down, to iterate through the list of messages rather than to
scroll the html pane you mean?

Personally I'm against this whole focus thing, I think it's confusing to the
user, unnecessary, makes users less productive and leads to physical injury
through stressful tab/shift-tabbing.

I want to eliminate the concept of an active pane (folder tree, headers list,
html pane) in KMail and perform all common actions using single letter
non-modified keystrokes.

I used Outlook Express (4) for a while and it's poor keyboard handling (due
to its use of active panes) drove me nuts.

> Also it seems that you react on currentChanged() in the header listview
>  to display a message. IMO if currentChanged() is called but the new
>  current item is not selected, the message of the new current item
>  should _not_ be shown, but rather stay with the old shown message or
>  show no message. Well, I'm not really sure about that but it seems
>  wrong to me to show a message which is not selected.

Good point, I hadn't thought of that. I think Andreas Gungl pointed that out
too.

> And also allow in the folders view the normal keyboard navigation.
>  (key-up, key-down, key-plus, key-minus, etc.) I really don't know why
>  you disabled that...

It's more a matter of it didn't port well from ktablistbox rather than a
conscious decision being made, I'll probably look into that today.

> Well, I know I could do this myself. If I find the time I'll work on
>  it, I just wanted to suggest you that stuff also.

That's cool, I'm actively maintaining KMail so I prefer stuff to be discussed
before changes are made.

BFN,
Don.