List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    mime pgp signed+enc messages
From:       Peter Kjellstrom <cap () nsc ! liu ! se>
Date:       2008-09-03 14:25:50

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hello,

This is my first post to this list so please be kind to me :-)

Some background: I have a quite new kmail (latest from ubuntu-8.04,
kmail-1.9.9, kde-3.5.9) and I have tried to search the kmail-devel archives
for relevant posts but found nothing.

I frequently read and send pgp signed/encrypted e-mails with kmail. This
typically works fine.

The problem: There is one kombination that does not work fully and that's
reading pgp-mime e-mails that contain a combined signed+enc block (see 6.2 in
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3156.txt). The method used by kmail when sending a
pgp-mime signed+enc e-mail (see 6.1 in the same rfc) of course works
perfectly.

What I mean by "not working fully" is that the signature check fails with a
yellow box with the following text:

 Message was signed with unknown key.
 The validity of the signature cannot be verified.

Two indications that would make you think it would work:

 * If I copy-n-paste the encrypted block into "gpg --decrypt" the signature
checks out ok

 * Kmail succeeds with a similar enc+signed block "inline", not mime.

Clients that use the "6.2" method from rfc3156 when sending pgp/gpg-mime
include Emacs/Gnus and Tunderbird/Enigmail.

/Peter