List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Building from trunk: Where's KMail?
From:       David Faure <dfaure () klaralvdalens-datakonsult ! se>
Date:       2006-11-27 18:08:35

On Mon Nov 27 2006, Rob Hasselbaum wrote:
> Thanks for the quick response, David! I am building with the
> "kdesvn-build" utility, and yes, it appears that it did the "make
> install" for kdepim because i can see other artifacts like "kontact" in
> my $KDEDIR/bin directory. But "kmail" does not show up there or in the
> build directory. Is there something I can look for in the build log? I
> don't see any obvious errors.

Look for the part where it install kmail ;)

"cd log/latest/kdepim ; grep bin/kmail$ install.log"
says: -- Installing /d/kde/inst/kde4/bin/kmail

> I did find "kbuildsycoca" in $KDEDIR/bin and tried running it as you
> suggested. Got an error saying "no database available" and some warnings
> about undefined mimetypes, but nothing else changed. What does it do?
It updates a binary database of the installed desktop files (~/.kde/cache-$HOSTNAME/ksycoca4)
But I suspect your problem is a setup problem.
Are PATH, KDEDIRS, LD_LIBRARY_PATH all set to point to the kde4 prefix?
Can you launch e.g. karm, to try a simpler program?
Does "ktradertest --servicetype DCOP/Mailer" give one offer, kmail, or "0 offers"?

Are you using a separate user for kde4? Or a separate KDEHOME in your kde3 user?
Hmm in theory neither of those should be necessary, but I'm not sure how many
people are testing that at this point.

> Yes, I am interested in hacking on KMail a little and seeing what happens.
Great ;)

--
David Faure, faure@kde.org, dfaure@klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
KDE/KOffice developer, Qt consultancy projects