List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Address completion (Re: Duplicates)
From:       Carsten Pfeiffer <pfeiffer () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-09-29 20:58:32

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hiya,

(David brought this thread to my attention -- I'm not subscribed to
kmail-devel anymore, so please CC: me and forgive me the thread-destruction
(can you add custom References: headers to kmail?))

> > but then all the matches will be lower case as well ...
> > there must be an other way...
>
> Fix KCompletion.ignoreCase. :-)

KCompletion only performs the *matching* case insensitively, the matches
themselves are kept and returned in their original case.

> Great. And thanks for the explanation. The code really seems to be
> rather complicated. Maybe we should throw a Marc Mutz on the original
> developers to teach them about the Strategy pattern.

Thanks for the offer, but I already know about design patterns :-)

A strategy wouldn't really help here, because this is not about different
strategies for the same thing (i.e. the same interface) -- makeCompletion
with CompletionAuto returns just one string, substringCompletion() and
allMatches() return multiple matches. These are just different things, that
need to be dealt with differently.

I'm not denying that KCompletion couldn't be improved though, with today's
requirements for completion in mind, that haven't been anticipated back then.

Cheers,
Carsten